DeviceImage Tools Forum Index DeviceImage Tools
Forum to discuss all about device-image tools

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cloning disks newbie: getting usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeviceImage Tools Forum Index -> Using over the network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: cloning disks newbie: getting usage Reply with quote

I'm a brand new user of DeviceImage, having been referred here by the PartitionImage forum. I am searching for a tool that will clone two Windows PCs across the network w/o using intermediate files. I was using SystemRescueCD and partimage, but didn't want to do an ntfsresize to shrink the NTFS partition of the source machine so it can fit on the target machine with the same size disk.

I typed commands from the "Network Situation 2" example (last one in the document) and I get a unzsplit usage error in the debug output file of the system B. I have installed zsplit and unzsplit on my SystemRescueCD, so I type the following commands.

Source:
/mnt/cdrom/zsplit -c -d /dev/hda |nc <target IP> 9000

Target:
nc -l -p 9000 |/mnt/cdrom/unzsplit -D /dev/hda -d

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Larry
larry.hybl@ncr.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: cloning disks newbie: getting usage Reply with quote

duh. I didn't put the - (for stdin) at the end of the "nc|unzsplit" pipeline. It's performing the network clone as I type this. Can't wait to see how long it takes!

larry

[quote="ldh"]I'm a brand new user of DeviceImage, having been referred here by the PartitionImage forum. I am searching for a tool that will clone two Windows PCs across the network w/o using intermediate files. I was using SystemRescueCD and partimage, but didn't want to do an ntfsresize to shrink the NTFS partition of the source machine so it can fit on the target machine with the same size disk.

I typed commands from the "Network Situation 2" example (last one in the document) and I get a unzsplit usage error in the debug output file of the system B. I have installed zsplit and unzsplit on my SystemRescueCD, so I type the following commands.

Source:
/mnt/cdrom/zsplit -c -d /dev/hda |nc <target IP> 9000

Target:
nc -l -p 9000 |/mnt/cdrom/unzsplit -D /dev/hda -d

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Larry
larry.hybl@ncr.com[/quote]
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

You are absolutely right, the stdin option “-“ was missing. I should see how to change it in my docu html-page to make it more obviously.
The time for cloning depends only on the network performance, this is the bottleneck for this scenario.
Could you post here some test results, such as network speed, device-size and time you needed to clone the device?

Thanks,
Jurij
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeviceImage Tools Forum Index -> Using over the network All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: