DeviceImage Tools Forum Index DeviceImage Tools
Forum to discuss all about device-image tools

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

uncomplete documentation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeviceImage Tools Forum Index -> HOWTO's and Documentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NigoX2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: uncomplete documentation Reply with quote

hello everyone

just an idea for improvement ;)

1) the "how to" documentation page just says how to backup a whole disk. It says nothing about partitions. What about logical partitions ?

2) the FAQ is wrong

[quote]Q4. When you backup the partition only then you have problem booting, why?

A: The zsplit does only what it is asking for. So if you makes an image of the partition you have only this partition saved, not the master boot record (MBR) of the device. MBR will be saved only if you make an image of the whole device. Therefore after the restoring only a partition, this partition cannot be found by BIOS without MBR (in case if restoration goes to a new device). The functionality to store separately the MBR is not implemented yet but will be implemented in the future releases. Alternative way to store the MBR is as follows:
Backup MBR:
dd if=/dev/hda of=backup_hda.mbr count=1 bs=512
Restore MBR:
dd if= backup_hda.mbr of=/dev/hda[/quote]
this is not enough, the logical partitions table won't be saved. The partimage doc give the correct solution
http://www.partimage.org/Partimage-manual_Usage#Making_a_backup_of_the_partition_table

3) the doc says nothing about reducing the image size. I suppose what the G4U doc says about it is valid here
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/#shrinkimg
jurij
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NigoX2,

"...the "how to" documentation ...says nothing about partitions. What about logical partitions ?"
The current howto-docu is very short, therefore the name: "mini-howto" ;-) At this state this ist only a help for the first steps, to understand generally how the software works.
Sure, this howto should be improved, I am absolutely sure about it, but currently I have not enough time to do it. May be other people which have tested this software and are satisfied with its functionality can write some chapters. It would be more easy for me to coordinate and to compile all peaces together.

You are right with your comment about partitions... Instead of "partition" it should be written "primary partition". I will improve the FAQ on this place.

Thanks and regards,
Jurij
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeviceImage Tools Forum Index -> HOWTO's and Documentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: