DeviceImage Tools Forum Index DeviceImage Tools
Forum to discuss all about device-image tools

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference to tools like g4u or g4l

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeviceImage Tools Forum Index -> Miscellanous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Difference to tools like g4u or g4l Reply with quote

Hello,

can you tell me the differences to the tools g4u and g4l?

I tested partimage a bit but didnt made it run and the forum of them seems to be dead a bit.

So I look at deviceimage, g4u and g4l. I didnt used linux before so I have to learn the codes. I would be happier to have a simple boot-cd whith a simple gui so I dont have to learn about linux. But it seems I have to learn...

Im thinking about whats the best solution for portable backups. 2 ways are in my mind. First a HD (Sata or IDE) extern and connected about a usb-hub. Is it simple to go onto such a disk? And would it be safe? I dont want to have surprises like the os-disk is rubbish and the backup cant be reached because it is on a disk which isnt supported in DOS-Mode...

And the second thought goes to a extern HD with WLAN. 3,5 are expensive at the moment, 2,5 are cheaper but the hd of this size is more expensive. But I think about such a solution.
Is it possible to reach such hds from live-cd?
I favorite this second way because the hd could stand somewhere no one sees and it is portable. So it is more secure that never happens a big data-loss. But I didnt learned much about wlan till now.

Greetings!
Sebastian
jurij
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sebastian,

As far as I know, these tools (g4u and g4l) are script based tools.
You can do imaging from device or partition with a help of dd,
compress it with a help of gzip and then transfer the resulting file over the network to ftp server with a ftp-client.
Local operations are also possible.

zsplit/unzsplit are written in c++ . With a help of these tools you can make images of devices and/or partitions first of all locally.
Network operations can also be done with a help of nc (Please see documentation), SAMBA- or NFS-mount.

For those people who has only little or no linux knowledge I have written a very short HOWTO-docu ([url]http://www.device-image.de/download/Mini_HowTo.pdf[/url]).
With a help of this docu you can get a rapid and good understanding of how these tools work.

Regards,
Jurij
Sebastian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So I dont have to fear I cannot connect the hardware... Nothing is harder to backup something in windows and the try to restore it fails because from dos the hardware isnt reachable... :)

Greetings!
Sebastian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeviceImage Tools Forum Index -> Miscellanous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: